Biocore is 50 years old in 2017! Although the program has changed and evolved since the first classes were taught in 1967, the basic goals, philosophy, program structure, and administrative support have remained the same. Biocore courses focus on foundational and emerging concepts and the application of these concepts through the process of science - how we know what we know. Students develop knowledge and skills within a supportive learning community of other students and instructors.
As we continue to expand and improve our curriculum, your contribution is an investment in Biocore courses and will provide additional opportunities for honors students who seek an in-depth, integrated approach to learning biology.
Listed below are several projects that we look forward to funding in the future with donor support. If you want to target your giving to a particular program, please indicate in the comment box on the Give Online site.
- Biocore Prairie Restoration - seeds, plant materials, field equipment
- Undergraduate Research in Ecology, Physiology and Science Education - lab equipment and travel to professional meetings
- Biocore Peer Mentors - funding undergraduate program assistant
- Biocore Outreach Ambassadors - funding undergraduate travel to Wisconsin Heights School classrooms, Summer Science Camp materials, Science Fun Nights materials
- Biocore Alumni & Friends funding events to connect current students and alumni for the purposes of networking, career development, and making and maintaining lifelong friendships.
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Teaching Fellows - funding to help develop classroom materials and travel to professional conferences to present work in Biocore
- Faculty Teaching Innovation - new materials to aid faculty instruction (e.g. clickers, molecular models, development of podcasts, demos)
- New Laboratory Equipment for Courses
- Professional Development for Staff - travel to workshops and courses, participation in professional meetings, workshops and presentations
We deeply appreciate generosity of people like you to help us maintain excellence in our curriculum and provide new opportunities for Biocore students, faculty and staff. Please consider a contribution specifically earmarked for Biocore when planning your future giving to UW-Madison.